Burglaries and home invasions have been around for centuries. Although the technology and materials used to commit these crimes may have changed over the years, their methods remain largely unchanged. Homeowners are constantly looking for new ways to protect their homes from intruders. In this article, we explain how homeowners can burglar-proof windows and prevent break-ins.
Understand the Risk of Windows as an Entry Point for Burglars
When looking into burglar proofing windows, it is important to consider the type of threat your property faces and select solutions accordingly. For instance, if you live in a relatively quiet neighborhood then simple measures such as installing locks on each window may be enough. However, if you’re located in a higher- risk area, stronger options like window bars should be considered. Additionally, you could install security lighting around vulnerable areas, which will activate when someone is detected nearby.
This will hopefully scare away potential criminals before they can get close enough to access your windows. It might also be worthwhile investing in heavier duty solutions like security film or double-hung windows that offer more protection from forced entry. Additionally, security cameras can help monitor activity outside your home, while security systems and lights with motion sensors can provide an extra layer of deterrence against intruders.
By combining multiple strategies such as locks, cameras and lights, you’ll have a comprehensive system in place that will protect both your home and possessions from unwanted visitors, thereby making it much less likely that anyone would attempt to gain access through the windows. With the right setup and regular maintenance checks, you can rest assured knowing that your property remains safe at all times.
How much does it cost to tint the windows in my house?
Tips to Burglar-Proof Windows
Install Window Sensors
Window sensors can an important layer of protection to your house. Since they sense motion, they can alert you whenever someone attempts to break into your home through ground level windows or glass doors.
Install Window Film
Installing window film is one of the most effective ways to burglar-proof windows and prevent break-ins. It provides a shatter-resistant security solution for both residential and commercial window units. Window films can also protect against forced entry from impact, ballistic threats, and UV rays.
Security window film can be applied over existing glass in laminated form. This makes it a great emergency escape solution since family members are able to break out of their homes if needed during unsafe situations. In addition to its protective qualities, window films have decorative features that improve the look of any structure with minimal effort required by homeowners. With this cost-effective security solution, you can increase your home’s safety without compromising on aesthetics!
See how effective safety window film is
Use Window Locks
Window locks can play an enormous role in making your home secure as they give you more control over who has access to your home. Here’s what you should know when shopping for window locks:
- Make sure you have the right type of lock for each window and patio door: there are several types of windows (awning, casement, double hung, etc.) and secondary entrance doors such as sliding glass doors or French doors. Each requires a different locking mechanism.
- Consider getting multiple layers of locks if possible: some windows may only require one kind of lock while others need two or three different kinds in order to ensure maximum security. You may also want to consider adding secondary locking mechanisms on first-floor windows, and basement windows with large glass panes.
- Check whether any existing locks need replacing or upgrading: older sliding glass patio doors often come with weak strike plates, which burglars can easily bypass using a credit card, or other objects inserted between the door frame and the plate itself. Upgrading these can help reinforce the overall security of your property.
Install Window Alarms
Installing window alarms is a great way to burglar-proof windows and prevent break-ins. Alarms can be both wired or wireless, depending on the level of security you need for your property.
Use Security Lights
Security lights can be an effective deterrent against potential burglars when it comes to preventing break-ins. Installing security lighting around the perimeter of your property, including by any emergency exits or garage doors, is a great way to protect your valuable items and keep intruders away.
Here are ways you can use security lights to help prevent burglary:
- Install a porch light that’s activated by motion sensors on the outside of your home. This will alert you if someone approaches your windows or other entry points.
- Position floodlights at different angles around the property for maximum coverage, and visibility during the hours of darkness.
- Set up timers so that the lights switch on in the evening as soon as darkness falls. This may startle anyone attempting to gain access through windows or doors.
- Consider using cameras that are connected to lighting systems. These allow you to instantly receive notifications on suspicious activity detected, while also providing evidence should law enforcement need it.
Trim Bushes And Shrubs Around Windows
Trimming bushes and shrubs around windows is a simple yet effective deterrent. By keeping the area surrounding your windows clear, you can make it harder for an intruder to hide from view. This is especially important if there are no security lights in place, as the intruder won’t have any cover.
Use Motion-Activated Cameras
Motion-activated cameras are an ideal solution for burglar-proofing windows and preventing break-ins. A motion-activated camera can detect suspicious vehicles, alert you of their presence, and give you more time to take action against burglars. Apart from providing protection from intruders, motion-activated cameras can help deter even the most skilled burglar. The added layer of security provided by these cameras make it much harder for someone to enter your home undetected.
Can I tint the windows in my home?
Invest In Smart Home Technology
Investing in smart home technology is an excellent way to prevent break-ins. This type of technology offers layers of protection through features such as motion sensors, alarms, cameras, and door locks, all of which are controlled by a central system. They can even be connected to your credit cards, as a result of which, you don’t have to worry about carrying keys or codes around with you.
Window Film Installation Services
Protex Canada offers security window film installation services designed to burglar-proof your windows and prevent break-ins. Our films provide an extra layer of security, making it much more difficult for intruders to gain access to your property. Furthermore, they come in a variety of colors, textures, and designs designed to blend the window into its surroundings, while providing maximum protection from potential burglars. Our films are as versatile as they are durable.